Thursday, August 5, 2010
New Work: Photo-centric and Austere
When I began working as an illustrator, almost all of my work was photo-based. It had a lot to do with me working in a photography studio at the time. But as the years went on, I drifted further and further away from photography in my work. I think I found that after a while, what I really wanted was to do some more drawing and build things entirely from scratch, digitally or otherwise. As a result of this, the subject matter became a bit more whimsical and in many cases, my work was not as dark and foreboding as it once was.
Also, I realized that I really wasn't interested in being a photographer. Whereas many see this as a creative outlet, I was viewing it as a necessary chore to get the resources I wanted for my illustrations. As a result of this, I think my photographic work was never all that good and I eventually drifted away from photography entirely. It has been years since I unpacked my camera and lights.
Fast-forward to this year and I find it ironic that a couple of recent projects were rooted in photography. They also have that dark quality that my earlier work used to feature so abundantly. What I really enjoyed about these projects was that although I did my illustration bit, the photography was taken care of by some serious pros. The top two images show the illustration I did for the recent Nachtmystium album. The photography here was handled by Jimmy Hubbard and was art directed by Seldon Hunt. They already had the creative direction nailed down so I simply put it all together and created the drug-addled bloody head fairy you see here.
The following two images are a book cover illustration for Shadows of the Redwood by Gillian Summers. The design here was done by Llewellyn's Kevin Brown. His direction was more open ended. Basically, he asked for an ominous forest scene with a jester creeping out from behind a tree. He wanted bloodshot eyes and the feeling that the jester was filthy and evil. I worked with photographer Vincent Lions to shoot the bits and pieces using a mannequin as a stand and then created the scene from all of the components in Photoshop. In both instances, it was fun revisiting my old photographic stomping ground with the assistance of some real pros this time around.
Posted by Derek at 10:38 AM