Sunday, January 31, 2010

Final chapter in progress


Okay, I'm feeling a bit excited as this chapter nears completion. This will be the final printed chapter in my new book. Well, final in the sense that it is the last one I have to finish. Not final in the sense that it is at the end of the book. It'll probably end up somewhere in the middle but I haven't worked that out yet.

Anyway, this chapter combines Photoshop with, you guessed it, Painter. There are some great new tools in the latest incarnation of Painter and I'll use some of them extensively in this chapter. One standout is the new Artists' Oils brush category that deposits a limited amount of paint, just like a real brush with oil paint on it would. The intuitive feel of this category of brushes is impressive and I'll use them in depth in this chapter.

As a matter of fact, Corel's inclusion of this feature made me feel so liberated that the process of working digitally became intuitive, freeing me up to discuss some core principles of observational painting and composition as well. This is something I've never really touched upon in detail in any other book. So, in addition to learning how to master the software, you'll get a 101 course in using colour to indicate value as well as how to compose naturally with the aid of divine proportion and the rule of thirds. This is just a section of the main image, and I still have a lot of blending to do, but I thought I'd give you a sneak peek at it in progress.

No comments: