Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Two good things arrived in the mail


Okay, I love getting cool stuff in the mail, and a few days ago I hit the jackpot. As many of you know, I wrote a book over the course of the winter and it was massively rewarding to get a box of advance copies in the mail. There they were, waiting for me on the porch. There were times when I was writing and illustrating the book that I thought I'd never finish. But now, here it is in my hands. The whole thing came together great and looks amazing, hooray!

Perhaps just as cool was my copy of the new Jeff Soto Lucky 13 calendar. I don't know how he does it, but his art constantly fills me with awe. Everything that comes out of that guy is just so amazingly epic and completely original. I wish I had a fraction of his talent. Anyway, here's a few images of the cool calendar/mini-magazine package.





It was put together by Mark Murphy at Murphy Design who puts together extraordinary books of art by some of the finest living artists.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Derek,

I just bought your book this weekend. I am a huge fan of your art and although I have a very long way to go, I am so anxious to apply your techniques to my own art. I have been looking for a book like this forever and while at the bookstore yesterday, I came upon yours! Thanks for such a fantastic book. I was up all night reading it.

Amy Clark
Birddogg Designs

Sattamander said...

Derek, Just spent about a hour today searching for a good book on Photoshop "How-Tos" and came across yours in the bookstore. Out of the 3 I looked at yours was by far the best for two major reason. First your art is so cool that it is something that someone would want to imitate, at least learn your tricks (your talent CAN'T be learned) and second it was the only book that did even close to a decent job of explaining things in a step by step manner. One book didn't explain anything and the other said it did but didn't. No step by step pictures and the narrative was totally lacking in detail that would help anyone but the author.

In short, it appears to be the perfect book for me and I have ordered a copy. I will get back to you once I have a chance to read it and try the "projects". Will let you know what I thought was great and what may need some added explanation. Already have one question from reviewing the book; in the piece that you did the spiral head, sounds dumb I know but, how do you go about drawing a clean line with a mouse? Or do you even use a mouse? Especially since the line was not just a straight line, that Photoshop can handle.

In closing, I really want to thank you for the book and your taking the time to share your "secrets". I have been a collagist all my life since I lack the dexterity to paint and draw. Nice to have all the help I can get in improving my limited motor skills.